Saturday, January 7, 2012

Putting my apple trees to sleep

Happy New Year everyone! This year has given some serious cold weather that is very unusual for central Florida. Just as I was beginning to think that winter was nowhere in sight, wham! a hard freeze here in the Low Chill Orchard. I had temps all the way down to 27F and for a very extended time thru the night. The apple trees in my backyard orchard were hit a little off guard and some of the leaves were damaged. I made an executive decision to just go by hand and pick every leaf off of the trees to force the trees into dormancy. After removing the leaves I also mixed 1oz. of copper spray to a gallon of water in my pump sprayer and lightly coated each tree after some detail winter pruning of course. So for now I say good night to my trees for what is started as an unusual winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment